Sunday, April 3, 2011

Let's Play Catch UP!

Last week my boyfriend, Martin, started thinking about what we'll be planting in the flower beds this spring. Let's back up... when I say "we", I really mean he. I don't garden, I actually kill our fake plants.The man has orchids in bloom all year long. I adore him for keeping my herbs alive and flourishing. This idea, in conjunction with my first official purchase of real Wilton decorating tips, made me decide to make my own garden--- out of cupcakes. I did some googling and Martin went to home depot, and we set out on our gardens. This is what I ended up with:

So, the cupcakes are Key Lime with a cream cheese buttercream and Pina Colada with coconut buttercream. It was my first time piping flowers and I picked it up suprisingly well. It was also my first time using gumpaste and stamens, which was also suprisingly easy. I was a big fan of the Key Lime cake- and the crusting buttercream, oh my god! My other half didn't share my opinion... he thought the Key Lime cake was way too lime-y. The Pina Colada cake was OK- not sure I would make it again. The cake recipe called for shredded coconut to be folded in and I wasn't a big fan of the texture.

Here is the recipe for crusting cream cheese buttercream, compliments of http://www.cakeartisan.com/
SERVES 1 , 4-5 cups (change servings and units)
Ingredients :
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 lb cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
3 1/2 lbs sifted confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions:
Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extracts. Gradually add confectioner’s sugar and salt. Beat on low speed until nice and creamy. If you want whiter icing, try to use butter without dyes available at most health food stores.
NOTE: This recipe is for a stiff consistency. For a thinner consistency, use 3 pounds of powdered sugar instead.
The pots are cheap terra cotta from Home Depot, the leaves are from Wal Mart, and to assemble I just used the green styrofoam stuff (the extent of my gardening knowledge) and scewered the cupcakes into it using toothpicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment